Monday, July 22, 2013

Sci-fi vs. Fantasy

I’ve noticed that the “Fantasy” genre has been getting increasingly popular over the years.  I’m judging this mainly by the number of movies I can list off the top of my head that are based off of Fantasy novels: 

Harry Potter
Lord of the Rings
The Hobbit
Twilight
Percy Jackson
Beautiful Creatures
Jack the Giant Slayer
Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters

It made me wonder about why the sci-fi genre hasn't been producing as many movies.  Lord knows it has as much reference material to draw from (if not more): But I couldn't think of anything other than the latest Star Trek movie, Ender's Game (which I will not be seeing for personal reasons), & the upcoming ones from Star Wars more than a few.  I had to rely on Google to find this list of “sci-fi movies” for me

Prometheus
Looper
Total Recall
Men in Black IV
Oblivion
Robot & Frank (?)  

But I guess science fiction has always been more of a niche genre than fantasy & maybe comparing the two is a little unfair.  It just strikes me as interesting how much more popular fantasy movies are becoming the further we get to the future.  


No comments:

Post a Comment