Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Touching Base - Summer 2013!

So when I created *this* blog, I was really hoping it would inspire me to write more posts & stuff (because a lot's been going on!), but I usually try to find time to blog at work and that's just been incredibly busy this past YEAR, so I haven't really had the time....!  

Luckily, I found some time tonight!  Now let's see.  

I think I'm finally adjusting to being on my own.  It was a little lonely at first & I didn't quite know what to do with myself (there were some long, aimless walks in the city at night and a few marathons of "Mad Men" on DVD on my Sunday afternoons), but I think I've finally remembered how to be single.  

Being single has afforded me a few adventures this year, such as: 

- seeing "They Might Be Giants" at the Anaheim House of Blues
- Vacationing in Des Moines, IA to see my ole' friend, Maren (pictures here!)
- Learning how to two-step (country western dancing) 
- seeing a film (Documentary - "God loves Uganda") at Outfest 2013

But what I really wanted to write about in this post is whether I should start dating again.....and how exactly to go about doing that nowadays.  

I felt the 'urge' last night when I was at Outfest with a friend of mine.  I managed to sit in front of a rather tall guy whose head blocked the lower-center of the screen.....until he laid his head on (I assume) his boyfriend's shoulder.  

And every so often during the movie, I would just watch them - one with his arm around the other - and get jealous.  Envious, even.  

But when the movie was over and people got out of their seats, I wondered if that's what I *really* wanted.  I've gotten used to making my own plans and having something to do almost every night of the week - fitting in a date here & there's going to be difficult.  But maybe I'm getting ahead of myself.....!  

I'm really dreading going on dates again.  Everybody I've asked has suggested "online dating" to me and, while I agree that it's a great way to meet new people (I know, I've tried it before), it tends to be a very.....mechanical(?) process.  

There's all this pressure & investment in it, yet it makes me feel like I'm going to a job interview - to apply for the position of "boyfriend" or something - a position with an extremely selective screening process. 
   
"Do you think this person *really* is the best candidate out there for this position?  Or is there someone better out there?"  



So yeah.  Wondering about all that.  If anyone has any thoughts / two-cents they'd like to contribute, feel free!  That's what blogs are for, right?  

Sorry for the ranting & lack of focus in this post.  I'm a little drunk (it was a hard day at work today) & wanted to put a lot of things in this post that didn't really go together.  

No comments:

Post a Comment