Thursday, February 2, 2017

NEVER READ THE COMMENTS

I never post anything political online because I’m afraid of getting sucked into arguments. I’ve seen a lot of my friends do this since the election and the comments some of them get are horrifying. 
  •  One friend wrote a post advocating to delete the Uber app from their phone; the comments section of his post (135 and counting!) devolved into an argument over which media corporations are biased and what direction each of them lean.
  • Another friend wrote a post about the contradiction of the #AllLivesMatter slogan and the Muslim ban, only to be called a C-U-Next-Tuesday.
  • Another (closer) friend wrote a post about being pro-choice and ended up getting trolled by her own father-in-law. 
That last one really gets to me.


I don’t get this. I really I don’t. And I’m so afraid that the friends I have online (all of which I know and met in real life) will reveal themselves to be horrible Trump-defending conservatives who will turn their attentions on me.

Who has that kind of time?
Who has that kind of energy?

It seems that only bigots and angry, ANGRY internet trolls do….and they seem to be out in force right now.   

No comments:

Post a Comment