Monday, February 6, 2017

(PERSONAL) FUTURE WORRIES

A friend of mine was recently laid off from his job. He’s an older gentleman so he’s struggling right now to find a new job at his (previous) paygrade.

I feel for him, but aside from taking him out to lunch every so often, there’s not much else I can do.

It got me thinking about my careet and my future with Jeff. I have a primarily administrative job that *could* be done by someone else if it really needed to be – like my friend, I’m essentially replaceable. And if I can’t provide for us with my salary, where would that leave us?

This fear is exacerbated by the fact that I recently moved to a new position in my company – a new department, really – and it is not as “essential” as some others due the fact that it is new (and possibly expendable?).

If I get laid off one day, I wonder how I’ll fare in the jobs market? I REALLY do not want to be dumped back into that….but what if I have no choice?

Augh – just stressing over something I can’t do anything about. I am gaining a lot of skills right now and trying to learn as much as I can. It’s hard to think about the bleakness of tomorrow….especially in today’s climate.


FYI – trying to blog more now that I have the time. Jeff is also talking about me joining his friend, Angela’s, writing workshop. Not sure what I can contribute these days, but I’m trying to motivate myself to do it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment